The fireplace is an important part of holiday traditions in many homes. If you’re looking forward to gazing at the …
Around The House
December 3, 2019
The fireplace is an important part of holiday traditions in many homes. If you’re looking forward to gazing at the soft glow of your fireplace this season, you may have already hired a professional to inspect the chimney and remove any buildup. Unfortunately, your friendly neighborhood chimney sweep isn’t going to clean the hearth or the glass fireplace doors. But with Bar Keepers Friend, you can make your fireplace look merry and bright.
So, you wanna learn how to clean a fireplace? Take a look at these three ways BKF can help:
Make Glass Fireplace Doors or Inserts Sparkle
Need to remove soot and stains from your glass fireplace door or insert? BKF has a few products you can use to clean your fireplacek. For light soiling, our Soft Cleanser may be sufficient, but for tougher cleaning tasks, use BKF Cleanser – our original scouring powder.
BKF Cleanser is also safe to use on brass, steel, and copper, but do not use it if your glass doors have an uncoated iron frame.
Safety tip: Glass doors will be hot long after a fire is extinguished – always make sure the doors are cool to the touch before you clean your fireplace.
Follow these easy steps:
- Remove the doors/insert and place flat atop newspapers or a trash bag
- Use a damp cloth to remove any loose debris
- If using Soft Cleanser, squeeze a small amount onto a damp sponge, or directly onto the glass, and spread the product evenly across the surface
- After 15 to 20 seconds, scrub the surface lightly
- Wipe/rinse clean with a damp cloth or sponge
- Buff glass dry with a microfiber cloth or paper towels
- If using BKF Cleanser, sprinkle onto a damp sponge, or directly onto the wet glass, and follow the same steps listed above – you can also mix powdered cleanser with water to make a paste, for removing stubborn stains
Restore Shine to Fireplace Tools
Use BKF MORE Spray+Foam in a trigger spray bottle to clean brass fireplace tools. Place items atop newspapers or a trash bag before spraying them with cleaner. Allow 15 to 20 seconds for the cleaner to break up stains, scrub lightly as necessary, then wipe/rinse clean with a damp sponge. Use a soft cloth or microfiber towel to buff tools to a shine.
Clean and Polish Mantles, Surrounds, and Hearths
If your mantle, fireplace surround, or hearth is made of granite, marble or other polished natural stone, you can clean them with BKF Granite & Stone Cleaner & Polish. Spray the cleaner onto (cool) stone and wait 15 to 20 seconds before scrubbing lightly in a circular motion with a non-abrasive pad. Wipe clean with a damp sponge, towel, or microfiber cloth. Dry the surface with a soft cloth.
How Do You Use BKF?
We love seeing Before-and-After photos from our satisfied customers. Have photos of a cleaning project you’d like to share? Just fill out the form below – and thanks for using BKF!